Search This Blog

Monday, March 28, 2016

Employment Contracts

Do i have the right to sue?

Asked about 1 hour ago - Saint Louis, MO
Practice area: Employment
I have been working 50 to 60 hours per week since November 2015 for enterprise rent a car. My boss who is an area manager informed me i have not been eligible for vacation or benefits because they said i declined full time which is not true. But they have kept me at full time hours and still the same hours per week. Do i have the right to sue?


  1. Answered You are certainly able to sue. Your best case will be denial of insurance benefits. You are what is generally tagged, "variable hour employee." You have not agreed to do full time but sometime do full time. If your hours of the employers insurance measuring time period are above 31 hours, you qualify for health insurance to be offered. The second part of your case will center around your employment agreement. If in your employment agreement you are to receive these benefits, then you have a contractual suit against your employer. The main thing will be what the language is in the agreement. If those benefits are not listed in your contract you may have a case for a verbal agreement or reliance damages(this however is a weaker case). You can also contact the department of labor to see if they can provide any help. The main thing you need to do is get ahold of your employment contract. Best of luck.

      All information provided by this site, including summaries and articles on legal topics, is general in nature and provided for informational purposes only. This information is not intended as legal advice, and should not be taken as such. Legal advice involves an attorney’s application of legal knowledge and judgment to specific facts and circumstances presented by a client. Before providing specific advice, a lawyer may need to conduct legal research and/or obtain additional facts. Nonlawyers should therefore not draw conclusions about what may be legally required, permissible, or advisable based solely upon consultation of general sources of legal information, including this and other law firm websites, without first seeking appropriate legal advice.